Accepting Accountability and Responsibility
• Gallup (2012), discloses that nurses are seriously trusted by most patients. Consequently, they have to embrace accountability and responsibility
• It is essential for nursing professionals to be accountable and responsible for the decisions they make
• During the Nursing Management Strategies course, I realized that the decisions I make as a nurse have to be strategic. This will assist me to achieve the objectives of the organization I work for.
• The leadership course introduced me to the fact that a nurse is a leader who has to act ethically and according to the standards of practice
• During the strategic planning course, we worked in groups to develop strategic plans that can be implemented in my future workplace.
Integrating Professional Values and Roles Behaviors
• Nurses are responsible for caring for patients during birth, death and healing (Merk, 2010).
• During the course, I was introduced to the values and behaviors that a nurse should maintain at all times
• Some of the significant values as stipulated by the Nursing Code of conduct include:
• Caring for patients without discrimination
• Upholding privacy regulations – During my previous work experience, I ensured that I keep the privacy laws to prevent the violation of a patients’ rights
• Maintaining a professional patient- nurse relationship
• During the BSN 402 we learned about leadership theories that can be used by nurses.
• I came to the realization that I can be a good leader if I apply the theories. in their right context with the objective of improving patient outcomes
Problems of Contemporary Health and Illness
• The unit Nursing Research was beneficial in the understanding of the most common health challenges and how to promote healthy living
• Our class activities involved conducting a community research on the prevalent health issues in the nation
• We identified obesity as a major problem and wrote a research paper on the subject
• Other prevailing health complications identified in the segment of health promotion, education of families and groups include heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
• At the state level, the most prevalent health challenge was diabetes. In my future practice, I intend to work with diabetic patients. I noted that it is an area that requires more focus and community awareness.
Awareness of Policies that Affect Individuals and Community Health
• According to Flesner (2016), nurses have an opportunity to provide their expertise in influencing policy decisions at all levels of government
• I did a survey about how policy awareness may impact on individual and community health
• I discovered that as a nurse, policy awareness is critical
• During the course, I also conducted a study to examine the various polices that affect individual and community health.
• I took note of the Health Insurance policy as an influential policy area.
The Impact of the Learning on my future practice
• I intend to implement more Evidence-Based Practice in work
• I will take up an active leadership role
• I have learned that research is significant, consequently, I intend to conduct more research on the health issues that I encounter on a day-to-day basis
• Ethics is essential in nursing. I will ensure that I maintain ethical behaviour at all times
• I also learned that strategic planning can be integrated into the nursing field. I intend to draw more strategic plans so as to meet the objectives of the organization and quality health outcomes for my patients
• The presentation underscores that undertaking the BSN will advance my career
• I was able to attain most of the outlined professional learning outcomes of the course
• As a Registered Nurse, a professional development plan is significant in directing my career pathway
• I believe that the knowledge and skills acquired will be prolific to my future work environment
American Nurse Association. (ANA). (2010). Nursing: scope and standards of practice.
Gallup. (2012). Honesty/ethics in professions. Gullup.
Flesner (2016). Role of Nurses in Policy decisions. NP
Huston, M. (2015). Leadership Roles and Management Functions in Nursing. Philadelphia. Wolters Kluwer.
Merk, S. (2010). Professional Value of nursing. Journal of Emergency Nursing.
Shani, M, Nakar, S, Lustman, A and Vinker, S. (2014). Structured nursing follow-up: does it help in diabetes care? J Health Policy Res. 2014; 3: 27.
Need a paper on the same topic?
We will write it for you from scratch!
If you are the original author of this essay and no longer wish to have it published on the SpeedyPaper website, please click below to request its removal: